Our 501(c)(3) Application
"If the world is saved, it will be saved by people with changed minds, people with a new vision. It will not be saved by people with old minds and new programs. It will not be saved by people with the old vision but a new program."
- The Story of B, Part 1, Daniel Quinn
The Friends of Ishmael Society has one main objective - to make Ishmael a common household name! We do not try to convince people that Daniel Quinn is right. Rather, we try to convince people that they MUST read this book and let them decide for themselves. Those who agree with it and want to share it with others, meet fellow readers, or take action, can turn to The Friends Of Ishmael Society for ideas and tools.
There are four ways in which the Society helps make Ishmael a household name:
- Making More Friends - We offer suggestions and promotional tools, in the form of pamphlets, flyers, banners, signs, and information to help you encourage others to read Daniel Quinn's work. These promotional tools will help you make friends through increasing readership and increasing teacher usage in the classroom.
- Getting People Active - We link readers to local Ishmael groups and other active organizations. Because most action takes place at the local level, it is crucial to make it easy for Friends of Ishmael to find other friends and organizations in their vicinity.
- Publicizing Ishmael-Related Activities - We maintain a categorized storehouse of information about those who have put Ishmael's message in action. Seeing how Quinn’s ideas are beginning to translate into tangible, real-world changes is crucial for the morale of current friends, as well as in helping convince others to become curious about the remarkable ideas behind them.
- The Friends of Ishmael Society Fund - The Fund represents the fundraising and grant-giving arm of The Friends of Ishmael Society. Money is currently used for nonprofit application fees. Ultimately, our fundraising goals include making some of these funds available in the form of grants for endeavors which help spread the word about Ishmael, as well as hiring part or full-time staff.